Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Decisions...

I am torn.
As I watch the news and see how things are escalating, I feel that spending money on a Bat Mitzvah event is just... not frugal at all.
I mean... I know that it's a once in a lifetime thing and that my parents are excited about it, but deep down in my spirit I know that it is not the time to indulge in something like this.
We are very humble people who happen to recognize that everything that we have is because G-d has given it to us so that we can bless others... and bless others we have.
Right now this whole pajama party thing is not that expensive, to tell you the truth,  but it is not a necessity.
Claudia's birthdays have always been wonderful and we have always managed to keep things within a budget.
This time though, as I watch the news and see so many people out there taking to the streets to protest out of desperation because of the lack of commodities, I can't help but feel pretty uncomfortable with the idea of splurging into luxuries, when we could be using that money to bless someone in need.
Perhaps it's time to have a talk with my parents and bring this to the table. Perhaps it's time to have a talk with Claudia and see how she feels about it.
Claudia has been a very blessed little girl, and my parents love to spoil her because of everything that she has been through with her heart condition and all. Maybe it's time for that to change a bit.
Here we are, storing food and planting our own garden, just as a precautionary measure that will eventually help us cope with the crisis that will soon take this country by storm. Yet, we are willing to spend money on hotel stays and parties?
I'm the first one to admit that I have been excited about planning the whole thing, but after praying this afternoon and watching the news, my entire perspective changed. My excitement turned to mush...
This is not the time to be doing this. Yes, this is the year of her 12th birthday... but unfortunately it's just the wrong time.
My beautiful daughter happens to be a very humanitarian child. Claudia is blessed to have the most beautiful heart for the L-rd and the desire to help people who are in need. Much like me, she is a giver. That is her love language.
Perhaps this is the perfect opportunity to use this as an active learning experience and allow her to explore a deeper understanding of what a Mitzvah truly is.
For those of you unfamiliar with our Jewish traditions, a Mitzvah is not just a commandment. A Mitzvah is also a moral deed performed as a religious duty. As such, the term Mitzvah has also come to express an act of human kindness.

What G-d is moving me to do is a bit different, exciting and a bit heart breaking to tell you the truth, because a Bat Mitzvah is the rite of passage that is so incredibly important to a Jewish girl. What Jewish mom doesn't dream of giving her daughter the most amazing Bat Mitzvah ever? I mean, c'mon!
Then again, as I watched a video of a prayer that my daughter made a couple of years ago, I realized that spoiling her totally contradicts the lessons learned. Taking the classes was important for her to better understand her new responsibilities, but putting into practice those same lessons is what this whole thing should be about.

Let me talk to my parents.
G-d is speaking loud and clear to my heart that it is not time to splurge.
Perhaps we can tone the plans down a bit.
Classy and simple sounds good.
Less is often more. Let's see what direction G-d wants me to take with all this.
Perhaps keep the plans for a reception at Villa de Flora in Gaylord Palms but do the pajama party here..????
No hotel stays or water parks...
I mean... who needs a hotel when we live in a six bedroom house with a pool? LOL
Yeah... just a nice formal dinner at Villa de Flora with family and friends, and then a nice camp out pajama party for Claudia's friends with a midnight pool party, complete with fire pit, marshmallows and star gazing.
Let me put that proposal out on the table this evening during our family prayer time. That way we can pray about it as well.
This would be a great opportunity to put the money that we don't get to spend into better use, by being there to meet the needs of others when the time comes and give Claudia's Bat Mitzvah a greater purpose.